Monday, January 24, 2011

My Go-To Indian Recipe


Feeling in the need for a little Indian spice, but don't know where to begin? Here is a simple, and delicious Indian dish to try.

It has been one of my life-goals to learn how to cook more scrumptious Indian food. A few steps into this journey, I have concocted this recipe mixing a few others I have tried. I love this dish because it has depth beyond just curry, without being over-the-top spicy. My three-year-old gobbles it up. As well, it is filling enough to be a one dish meal.

2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp curry powder (or more if you like it spicy)
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 medium potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2 inch (or 1 reg potato and 1 sweet potato)
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup water
salt to taste

Optional:
1 cup broccoli cut into small pieces
1 cup peas
1 cup garbonzo beans


1. Heat oil over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cumin, curry and cayenne. Cook stirring constantly until mustard seeds begin to pop (about three minutes). Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion begins to soften (about five minutes).

2. Add potatoes and carrots, tossing to coat with spice mixture. Add coconut milk, rice and water. Simmer covered until rice is almost cooked (about 25 minutes). Add more water if necessary.

3. If adding broccoli and peas, do so now, simmering until broccoli is cooked. Then add garbanzo beans and salt to taste.

A note on curry: The fresher your curry the better your results. The better quality curry, the better your results. Always store your curry in an air-tight tin, or light proof container.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks!

    And thank you for your comment on my blog today! I'm following you and looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks yummy and healthy, and easy too, which is even better! I love Indian food but the recipes often have such a long list of ingredients that it's off-putting. I'm going to give this one a try though. :-)
    Brigid

    ReplyDelete