Making your own eye pillow is easy and fun. You don't need anything fancier than an old (clean!) sock or t-shirt, and white rice. You can make it as fancy as you wish though. Experiment by adding your favorite essential oil or dried herb.
Plus, I believe you can actually feel the love that went into making the pillow when you use it.
1. Measure and cut out a 8.5 x 4.5 inch rectangle of your selected material.
I suggest using material that has a stretch to it and can breathe, like jersey. Natural fabrics breathe and feel better. If you don't have new fabric, you can always use an old t-shirt, or a sock.
2. Sew around the edges leaving a half inch "hole" at the end.
3. Open the "hole" and stuff the material through, turning the pillow inside out.
All the stitching should be tucked in on the inside.
4. Fill the pillow with your desired filling.
I used white rice because it is inexpensive and I know it will keep well. Use can also use lavender, flax seeds, beans, millet hulls, or buckwheat. To add a scent to the filling, you can use 15 - 20 drops of an essential oil. You can also add a sprig of lavender or sage, or your favorite herb.
|We used a straw to help push the rice through|
5. Sew up the hole.
6. You can make a little pillowcase for your eye pillow. This way you can wash the cover if the pillow gets soiled.