Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Teaching Children About Ghosts

 Over at my house today, I found myself playing one of our favorite ghost games a little differently. Maybe it was our on year anniversary of the Ghost Haunting at Our House. Or maybe it is teacher in me that wants to empower my children to know more about the world around them. Whatever the case, we basically reenacted what happened at our house a year ago.

The "Pink Lady" Ghost.
Yes, scary indeed.
I became the "Pink Lady Ghost" wearing a pink silk scarf over my head and running around haunting the house. I picked up my 1-year-old daughter and pretended to want to take her back to the ghost realm. The kids ran around in crazed circles trying to battle me with swords but I was ignoring them. Nothing was able to touch the Pink Lady because nothing effects ghosts (so I told them).

But then, they figured out something that would drive the ghost away. My three little people drummed away on hand drums and pretended to do a ceremony. This sent the Pink Lady running for the hills and she never came back. Well, until they wanted to repeat it again with variations, more ghosts, ect.

It was all in great fun. The kids had fun and made a positive connection with h ghosts, and I like to think it empowered them.

Children are so sensitive and pick up on many things beyond our physical world that we as adults don't. Children also have vivid imaginations. Combine this and we, as parents, may find ourselves talking about monsters and ghosts. Their fears and questions are justified. This is just one example of how to creatively answer some of their questions.

Battling the Pink Lady without much luck

1 comment:

  1. became the "Pink Lady Ghost" wearing a pink silk scarf over my head and running around haunting the house. I picked up my 1-year-old daughter and pretended to want to take her back to the ghost realm.

    ghosts forum
    cod ghosts forums

    ReplyDelete